I was recently given the opportunity to teach my VERY FIRST in-person class at a wonderful yarn shop, Make One Yarn Company, in La Verna, Ca. Lemme tell ya - that is a humbling experience. Teaching online with videos is surprisingly easier but it was still a huge high to get to teach folks in person.
The class would have been boring had we worked just a swatch so I decided that the students would get a finished product pattern as part of their class. And thus the Vintage Vanity headband was born!
This wonderful little headband gives the knitter just a taste of brioche without being overwhelming. Beginning with a provisional cast-on, the user can make the band whatever circumference is needed to fit a variety of head sizes, but is written for a standard woman's size head, 21-22 inches in circumference measured along the hairline.
Once the knitter is comfortable with brioche, one of these headbands can be rocked out in about 3 hours (provided there are not interruptions and not too much wine). ;)
- Ewe Ewe Yarns Ewe So Sporty (sport weight; 100% superwash merino wool; 145 yds / 50g skein) 2 skeins, 1 each of contrasting colors
- US 6 (4mm) 16” circular needle (or DPNs). Adjust needle size to obtain gauge.
- 2 stitch markers
- Cable needle
- Crochet hook, size H (5mm) or I (5.5mm)
- Smooth waste yarn
4 inches wide by 18 inches circumference; recommended fit: 3-inches negative ease.
24 sts and 51 rows = 4" in double garter rib.
- This project is worked in 2-color brioche, flat. A selvedge edge will be worked up the sides of the work.
- Instructions are given for one-size fits most (21-22 inches circumference), however the size is easily adjusted by working longer or shorter Double Garter Rib Band sections.
- Written and charted instructions are provided for the Brioche section of the pattern.
- Instructions for swatching using the Double Garter Rib are provided.